Friday, November 6, 2009

POM Wonderful: Blogger Harvest Tour Day 1

Last week was one of the most surreal weeks I've ever experienced, hands down. Let me back up...a month or so ago I was invited by Andrea of POM Wonderful to come to the first ever POM Bloggers Harvest Tour. Andrea and I had been in touch because I'm now writing articles for the (fabulous newly designed) POM website. Obviously, I jumped at the chance. Other guests of this Harvest Tour were 15 well-known food, fitness, wellness, and life bloggers. Some of them I knew already, and some I "knew" from following their blogs. While I do have an itty-bitty baby blog, I wasn't invited for that reason, but rather to give the group a talk on healthy eating. You don't have to ask me to public speak twice. Sold!



So last week I hopped on a plane in Denver (was conveniently already halfway across the country for FNCE) and headed out to Fresno, California. I met up with the group at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse for a late dinner and was so warmly welcomed by everyone. I was excited to see Tina and Caitlin who I already knew from Healthy Living Summit and meet some new bloggers too.After a good night's hotel sleep, we were off to visit the pomegranate orchards, and by visit I mean fly in a private 6-seater plane over the miles and miles of beautiful orchards. Pinch me - seriously!?

When we arrived to the orchards, our planes weren't yet there, so we wandered over to the almond trees. While I eat almonds daily, I had never seen an almond grow and was surprised to see each little almond growing in its own protective case. I can't imagine picking all of these little guys - no wonder they're so expensive! I ate one right off the tree (shhhh, totally not supposed to) and it was so perfect and fresh.



When our planes arrived all 15 bloggers swarmed over for some photo ops. Then we hopped in and got ready for takeoff! It was such an exhilarating thrill. I shared a plane with Kristy , Caitlin, Tina and Sagan and we all shrieked as we went up into the sky. Our pilot took good care of us and the views were breathtaking. Once we landed, I hopped right into the other bigger (8-seater) plane for a second ride. You can watch our POM Orchard FLY over video here!




If our trip stopped there, I would have thought it was the most amazing experience ever. But there was more excitement to come and we drove over to the orchards to pick our pomegranates! This was my first time seeing pomegranates grow and boy are they gorgeous. They're deep red with perfectly perked crowns and I twisted and yanked my very own off of a branch. I can't wait to crack it open and use it in a recipe now that I'm home!




Brad, the VP and General Manager of Produce for POM taught us all about the harvesting process and showed us how to neatly cut open a pomegranate. I've had fresh pomegranate arils before, but these tasted better than anything. Everyone at POM is so passionate about their great products and all the work that goes into making them. We were joined on our trip by Andrea, Jeff, Brad and Daniel.

Kristy of The Wicked Noodle summed it up best in her blog: Friends, it was glorious. That word is perhaps a bit cheesy, but it’s the best way I know to describe to you what an absolute fabulous time this was. It was like arriving to a party where you’re the guest of honor and the sole job of everyone around you is to make sure you know it. And the best part of the adventure? How freakin’ awesome the POM folks are.


Stay tuned for more posts about the nutrition talk I gave, our POM themed dinner, and tour of the POM plant.

1 comment:

  1. About the almonds, in the Middle East, we eat almonds very early in the spring. The seed at that time is still juicy, green, and soft--similar to cucumber seeds. They are sour, and with some salt, the taste is fantastic. (I probably shouldn't announce that I'm a dietitian)
    Ethnic stores here in VA sell them in March. I'll try to take a picture and write a post.

    ReplyDelete